Is there anything better than chocolate for breakfast? There’s rarely a morning that goes by when I managed to tear myself away from the bag of cacao powder but with it’s mood enhancing and fatigue fighting properties, I just can’t say no. And there’s no better way to enjoy it than in a warming bowl of porridge – thicker, creamier and more filling than my original chocolate protein oat recipe, these zoats are served with an optional tropical berry compote which adds an additional sweetness that pairs perfectly with the rich cacao. The addition of courgette not only bulks up the volume, it makes your oats creamier than ever and helps you pack in an extra portion of veggies too. And the best part? It still tastes like you’re eating dessert for breakfast.
- 1/2 cup sprouted oats
- 1 and 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 3/4 banana, mashed (reserve the rest for topping)
- 1/2 large courgette, grated
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 1 scoop vanilla or chocolate protein powder
- optional: tsp each maca powder and vega vero’s energy mix
for the compote:
- 3 large handfuls of frozen mixed berries, mango and pineapple
- Add the berries, mango and pineapple to a small pan and bring to a low simmer until thickened – this usually takes me about 10-15 minutes, ensure that you stir every couple of minutes so that it doesn’t all stick!
- Meanwhile add the oats and 1 cup of the almond milk to a pan and place on the hob over a medium heat.
- Once the milk has warmed through (this usually takes around 2 minutes), add the mashed banana, cacao powder, maca powder and grated courgette to the pan along with the remaining almond milk. Cook for a further 9-10 minutes over a low-medium heat until thick and creamy.
- Once the oats have finished cooking, reduce to the lowest heat, add the protein powder and stir until fully combined.
- Serve and top with banana slices, the berry compote and nut butter or chocolate chunks. Enjoy!
If you make this, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @nourishingyas x