It’s no secret that I’m obsessed with peanut butter; on oats, smoothies, rice crackers, nice cream, toast and even baked into sweet treats, but you know what I equally love? Vegan burgers. And what better way to combine two of my all time favourite things than in a crunchy peanut butter burger?!
Peanut butter is a firm favourite amongst many people, but it’s not just for drizzling on oats or slathering on toast. I realise that some people are apprehensive about adding nut butter to savoury recipes, but these burgers couldn’t prove them more wrong; they’re simple to make with ingredients that can be found in your cupboards and satisfy both your burger and peanut butter cravings all at once.
These hearty burgers contain crunchy chunks of peanuts whilst maintaining a firm texture that actually holds together when you bite in to it (hooray!), making them an absolute winner and such a satisfying meal. They’re bursting with flavour from the roasted peanuts and nut butter, with hints of spices and a beautiful contrast of sweetness from the potato. These burgers taste so moreish that you won’t believe how much goodness they’re packed with too! Peanuts are high in protein, contain essential amino acids and are a good source of B vitamins, whilst the sweet potato is a great source of vitamins A, E and C and the chickpeas add a boost of protein and fiber to help keep you fuller for longer and your digestive system ticking over nicely.
These burgers are amazing alongside a big salad or roasted veggies but my favourite way to enjoy them is sandwiched between a nutty bun with mashed avocado, chopped tomato and a thick layer of crunchy peanut butter plus a side of cinnamon, paprika and coconut sugar sweet potato wedges – I honestly couldn’t think of anything better.
Ingredients (makes 4)
- 1 x 400g can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup oats, ground into a flour
- 2 tbsp neutral tasting vegan protein, such as pea or hemp (or sub extra oats)
- 60g raw, unsalted peanuts
- 100g cooked + mashed sweet potato
- 1/4 cup crunchy unsalted peanut butter (I use meridian)
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp each of turmeric, mild chili powder and paprika
- Pre heat the oven to gas mark 5 and line two baking trays (one small and one large) with grease proof paper.
- Add the peanuts to the smaller baking tray and place in the center of the oven for 8-10 minutes, until golden brown and fragrant. Make sure to check them every couple of minutes to ensure that they’re not burning. One cooked, set aside to cool.
- Add the chickpeas to the blender and pulse until mashed, but not completely smooth. Add them to a large mixing bowl along with the remaining ingredients, other than the peanuts.
- Add the peanuts to the blender and pulse until slightly broken down – you still want them to be chunky so one or two seconds will be enough. Add them to the mixing bowl and using your hands, mix everything together until well combined.
- Once mixed, divide the mixture in to four and using your hands, shape into burgers and place them on the baking tray.
- Place in the oven and cook for 30 minutes, flipping over halfway through to ensure that they cook evenly.
- Serve alongside a salad, roasted veggies or in a buddha bowl – but my favourite is in a homemade nutty bun with a thick layer of mashed avocado, creamy hummus, crunchy peanut butter and a side of cinnamon, paprika and coconut sugar roasted sweet potato wedges.
- I like to freeze the leftover burgers and they keep well for up to 3 months. To re-heat, simply thaw in the fridge then place in foil in the center of the oven for 20 minutes or enjoy cold.
If you make these, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @nourishingyas x