There’s not often a day that goes by when I don’t enjoy sweet potato in some form; mashed, baked, roasted, steamed and even spiralised are all great but this variation is by far my favourite. I roast sweet potatoes with coconut sugar, cinnamon and paprika to heighten their natural flavour – and not only do they pack in more flavour than the humble white potato, they also have a much higher nutritional value and are bursting with Vitamins A, E and C to boost your immunity, leave your skin glowing, your blood sugar levels stable and pack in a healthy dose of fiber too. I keep the skin on because that’s where the majority of the nutrients are stored, leaving them with a crisp outer layer and gooey centre. Their natural sweetness is further enhanced by the caramelised coconut sugar and cinnamon which is then perfectly balanced with a hint of spice from the paprika. They make the perfect accompaniment to almost any meal but my favourite way to enjoy them is alongside a juicy vegan burger, dipped in creamy hummus or with lashings of tahini, but they would be equally amazing served at breakfast with a big dollop of coconut yoghurt and a drizzle of peanut butter.
Ingredients (Serves 1)
- large sweet potato
- 1/2 tsp each cinnamon and paprika
- tsp coconut sugar
- coconut or olive oil
- Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 6 and line a baking tray with grease proof paper.
- Cut the sweet potato in half and again in to thick wedges.
- Place the wedges on the tray and add the spices along with a little oil and using your hands, toss together until fully coated.
- Place the wedges into the oven for 30 minutes, flipping over half way through to ensure they cook evenly.
- Serve alongside roasted veggies and crunchy chickpeas, with a salad, alongside a hearty vegan burger or even in a breakfast bowl! They taste great cold too, so make a great addition to your lunch box – that is if you have any left!
If you make these, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @nourishingyas x