If you’re not eating chocolate for breakfast, then I’m afraid you’re just not doing it right.
Nice cream has become my latest breakfast obsession and whilst I thought that my salted maca caramel and oat protein nice cream was as good as it could get, this chocolate variation may have gone and trumped it. Thick, creamy and loaded with chocolatey goodness, this makes the perfect alternative for when I don’t fancy a bowl of chocolate protein oats. And don’t be quick to presume that this is unhealthy – despite it’s decadent taste, this breakfast bowl is relatively low in sugar, high in protein and packs in roughly 3 portions of your 5 a day! The hidden greens aspect comes from a cheeky serving of veggies – whilst I know most people reach for the fruit bowl in the morning, it is possible to sneak in some greens too and the best part is, you won’t even know that they’re there.
Growing up I was always told to stay away from chocolate for breakfast but unlike pre packaged flavoured milks or cereals, this breakfast bowl packs in so many micronutrients so whilst it may taste like dessert, you can be assured that you’re nourishing your body with every mouthful. Bananas are rich in potassium so are great for an early morning energy boost, the courgette adds volume without increasing the calories, peas are packed full of plant based iron, zinc and vitamin c and the protein powder packs in 25g plant based protein, a digestive enzyme complex, recovery accelerator (all whilst tasting amazing) and cacao powder imparts the all important chocolate flavour whilst being rich in magnesium, iron and boosting your mood – now no one can tell you that chocolate for breakfast is unhealthy.
Ingredients (Serves 1)
- 1 large frozen banana
- 3/4 cup frozen courgette
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 scoop of Raw Cacao Perform Protein
- 2 tbsp cacao powder
- 2 tbsp sprouted oats (or gluten free oats of choice)
- optional: tsp each of maca and lucuma
- Add all of the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. And remember, patience is key here; don’t be tempted to add more liquid as this will alter the texture of the nice cream.
- Serve and add your toppings of choice, I love homemade granola, nut butters, tahini, chopped dates, fresh or frozen berries and even a salted caramel protein bar.
If you make this, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @nourishingyas x