If you thought my vanilla latte and mocha protein bars were good then brace yourselves because these are on a whole other level; gooey, melt in your mouth vegan protein bars with an indulgent salted caramel flavour that are packed full of nourishing and unrefined whole food ingredients all whilst containing 11g plantbased protein – now, try to tell me that they don’t sound good.
Whilst traditional salted caramel is loaded full of refined sugar with little to no nutritional value, these bars get all of their flavour from vivo life’s perform protein – a raw, plantbased protein powder which not only tastes amazing but is packed to the brim with nutrients including 25g protein, 6g BCAAS (no duck feathers involved!), a superfood protein blend, digestive enzyme complex and recovery accelerator to truly help you build and maintain muscle whilst also supporting recovery. One of the main things that I love about perform (besides its incredible flavour) is that it’s raw to ensure the maximum nutritional value of each ingredient. In this recipe, the natural maca and lucuma flavour from the perform is further enhanced by the hints of caramel from the pecans and sweetness of the maple syrup. And with just 6 ingredients, 1 bowl and no baking required at all, they couldn’t be any easier to make.
Whilst shop bought protein bars can be expensive these are a lot more affordable to make and a lot tastier too plus they don’t contain any nasty additives. It’s not just about the protein with these bars though as they also contain a generous dose of healthy fats from the pecans and almond butter whilst the oats provide those all essential slow release carbohydrates along with manganese, zinc and iron. With 11g protein per bar, these are truly the most delicious way to up your daily protein intake and are the perfect post workout snack or topping for a bowl of creamy chocolate protein oats.
Ingredients (makes 12)
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 1/3 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup gluten-free oats
- 2.5 scoops salted maca caramel perform protein
- 2/3 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup liquid sweetener of choice – I use a mixture of date and maple syrup
- Add the oats and pecans to a blender or food processor and blend until they reach a flour like consistency.
- Transfer the ground mixture to a large mixing bowl and add the almonds, perform protein, almond butter and liquid sweetener of choice.
- I find it easiest to mix everything together with my hands but feel free to use a spoon! The mix is ready when it forms one large ball.
- Transfer the mix to a lined baking tray and using your hands or the back of a spoon, press down until firmly compacted. Transfer to the freezer to set for around an hour.
- Once the bars have set, remove from the freezer and slice into your desired size. I find that the mix yields 12.
- Store in the fridge until ready to eat – they’ll keep well here for 1-2 weeks but I like to freeze mine so that they last a couple of months. If doing this, simply transfer to the fridge an hour or so before eating!
If you make these, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @nourishingyas x