I’ve never liked traditional couscous so for me, this veggie option is perfect – it’s super simple and affordable to make with just a handful of ingredients but there’s definitely no compromising on flavour! This plant-based dish is packed full of fiber, which is great for happy digestion and also keeps you fuller for longer. There’s also an array of vitamins from the broccoli and cauliflower – broccoli is packed full of calcium for strong bones whilst cauliflower is an amazing source of vitamin C. The broccoli and cauliflower soak up the flavours of the tamari and lemon beautifully, whilst the avocado provides a healthy dose of monounsaturated fatty acids along with potassium and vitamins K and E. I love this alongside roasted veggies for a filling and delicious plant-based meal – each mouthful is bursting with flavour and I can eat it with the knowledge that every bite is truly nourishing my body.
Ingredients (Serves 1)
- 1/2 head of broccoli
- 1/2 head of cauliflower
- 1/2 avocado
- heaping tbsp tamari
- juice of a lemon
- himalayan salt and pepper
- Start by chopping both the cauliflower and broccoli into florets and add them to a blender or food processor, pulsing until they’re broken down into small pieces.
- Transfer your veggie couscous to a bowl and combine with the lemon juice and tamari, mixing well. Set aside.
- Whilst the broccoli and cauliflower are soaking up the flavours, chop the avocado into chunks, season with a little pink himalayan salt and pepper and then add to the couscous, mixing until combined.
- Serve as the perfect accompaniment to any meal – I love it alongside roasted asparagus, red pepper, courgette and aubergine but it’s equally delicious alongside sweet potato wedges and homemade falafels!
If you make this, don’t forget to tag me on instagram @nourishingyas x