Traditional oats are a great way to start the day but sometimes it’s nice to have other options and that’s where this raw buckwheat porridge comes in! Although buckwheat is often mistaken by many as a cereal grain, it is actually a fruit seed and boasts an array of benefits as it provides healthy digestible protein and its high fiber content helps to improve digestion. Combined with the other ingredients, such as antioxidant rich blueberries, this superfood breakfast is a light and delicious alternative to oats which can easily be whizzed up in the blender in a matter of seconds!
I love to add a scoop of protein powder here in order to achieve the perfect balance of protein and carbs, with a single scoop of PERFORM: Madagascan vanilla protein powder providing you with 25g plant based protein, it takes you halfway over the recommended daily amount for a woman! If you don’t have vanilla protein powder on hand, then simply substitute your favourite protein and add a tsp vanilla powder or, you could even just use vanilla extract. The lucuma can easily be substituted for your favourite liquid sweetener of choice such as maple or date syrup and if you don’t want to keep this raw, then you could even warm it up!
Ingredients (Serves 1)
- 50g buckwheat groats
- 1/2 cup blueberries (I use frozen but fresh would be fine too)
- tsp lucuma
- scoop of perform: madagascan vanilla protein powder
- 1/2 tbsp almond butter
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp unsweetened almond milk
- Soak the buckwheat groats in water overnight. In the morning, drain and rinse the groats before adding 2/3 to the blender and setting the other 1/3 aside.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the blender and blend well until smooth and creamy. If you would prefer a thinner consistency, simply add more milk.
- Once you’ve reached your desired consistency, stir in the remaining buckwheat groats and then serve! For topping, I love fresh berries but homemade granola, banana slices, nut butter or seeds would all be great too!
If you make this, don’t forget to tag me on instagram @nourishingyas x