My self-control seems to have hit an all time low lately which has resulted in me spending WAY more money that I’d expected too! The fact that I seem to be a typical Taurus does not help the matter either as spending money guilt free does not come easy to me. It’s safe to say that I am a tad materialistic and I do struggle to part with my money – I’m probably not selling myself right now so moving on… They do say you should live life with no regrets and I definitely do not regret discovering some pretty amazing things!
Holland & Barrett Their ‘buy one get one half price’ sale never fails to reel me in and this time round was no exception! I love that absolutely everything is included, unlike the penny sale which includes nothing of much interest to me. Much to the displeasure of my bank account, I actually ended up placing two orders but I think it’s safe to say that it was worth every penny. And it really is great value for money; across both of my orders I managed to save £50 – so next time it’s on I urge you to take full advantage!
- Meridian Natural Crunchy Peanut Butter 1kg Growing up I’d always hated peanut butter but that’s because my Mum always ate the processed stuff. As soon as I tried Meridian’s natural peanut butter though, I became obsessed – to the extent that I now have to buy 1kg tubs of the stuff!
- Meridian Natural Smooth Peanut Butter 1kg I couldn’t stock up on just crunchy peanut butter though could I? Life’s about options and when it comes to nut butter, there can never be too many options.
- Meridian Natural Hazelnut Butter I am yet to open this but I’m expecting amazing things! This is a little on the pricey side because hazelnuts do tend to be one of the more expensive varieties of nut but I’m just crossing everything that it will be worth it.
- Meridian Natural Almond Butter 1kg x 2 In terms of my favourite nut butter, I think almond butter has actually now surpassed peanut butter for me. Considering that these tubs are three times the price of the peanut ones, I thought that it would be best to stock up on two in order to even out the cost a little. Plus, my obsession is pretty out of hand!
- Biona Organic Mixed Nut Butter As I said before, with nut butter it is all about options! I was so excited to try this as it’s a blend of almonds, hazelnuts and cashews but it tastes more like cashews than anything else. It is nice (it would be impossible for nut butter not to be) but probably not one that I’d repurchase.
- Pip & Nut Coconut Almond Butter This is quite possibly the nicest nut butter ever. If you haven’t tried it then you are seriously missing out – it’s the perfect blend of almonds, coconut oil, agave syrup and a pinch of sea salt. Oh and a top tip, put a dollop on top of your chia pudding and throw on some frozen berries – they freeze the nut butter so that you get one chewy nut butter chunk. Simply delicious.
- Meridian Organic Pumpkin Seed Butter x 3 I’d never tried a seed butter until now but you guessed it, i’m obsessed – so much so that I had to include this in my september favourites. It’s perfect spread on top of crackers then topped with seeds and cherry tomatoes or even on a slice of avocado toast!
- Primal Pantry Brazil Nut & Cherry Paleo Bar These bars are another item which made it into my favourites! I’d wanted to try them for ages and they do not disappoint – not only do they taste amazing but they’re completely vegan and paleo along with being free of dairy, gluten, grain and any nasty additives – what more could you want?
- Primal Pantry Coconut & Macadamia Paleo Bar
- Primal Pantry Almond & Cashew Paleo Bar
- Bear Pineapple Yoyo These yoyo’s take me back to primary school are reminiscent of fruit winders except they’re so much better for you! I’d never seen the pineapple one anywhere else before so of course one was added to my basket.
- Bear Blackcurrant Yoyo Again this is a flavour that I’d never been able to find anywhere else but I think it’s now one of my favourites along with mango and strawberry.
- Squirrel Sisters Raspberry Ripple These do taste amazing but for the price that they are, the product itself is tiny and they even recommend that you split it into two portions which I think is ludicrous. Definitely a nice treat once in a while but an expensive one all the same.
- Aduna Baobab Raw Energy Bar I’d been lusting over one of these bars for ages and I was not at all disappointed. The blend of pineapple and almonds is amazing, with the baobab providing a slight tang. It rare for me to say this but it’s definitely a snack that I would repurchase.
- Aduna Cacao Energy Bar After the success of the baobab bar, I knew that I had to try Aduna’s other energy bars. This one turned out to be equally delicious – if you’re looking for a vegan choc chip brownie then this is it.
- Aduna Moringa Green Superleaf Energy Bar I haven’t tried this bar yet but I’m expecting good things; Aduna haven’t let me down yet so it would be hard to now. This bar is also a great source of protein – packing in 5g thanks to the rice protein and cashew nuts.
- Pulsin Maple & Peanut Protein Bar With 12g protein, this is a great snack for upping your daily intake! Tastes good but quite frankly, I’ve had better.
- Meridian Date Syrup Maple syrup is great but as I said, life is about options! Date syrup is thicker so I find that it works better as a substitute for honey in certain recipes.
- Orgran Gluten Free Rice Spirals Before entering anorexia recovery, carbs were a no go for me. My eating disorder caused me to fear them and one of the scariest has been left until last to confront – pasta. Although it’s been tough, I have managed to challenge myself to it twice! It was my first time tasting brown rice pasta but you honestly can’t tell the difference and it is so much better for you, especially your digestive system.
- Bobs Red Mill Traditional Gluten Free Rolled Oats I struggle to find gluten-free rolled oats anywhere else but these are perfect! I love them for overnight oats, granola or even whizzed into a flour to use in energy balls or for baking.
- Yukata Organic Miso Paste I am so obsessed with this stuff – I love the depth of flavour and slight saltness that it adds to dishes!
- Profusion Himalayan Rose Pink Crystal Salt After hearing a lot about the health benefits of Himalayan salt, I knew that I had to try it myself. Although it doesn’t taste exactly the same as rock salt I actually prefer the milder flavour plus it’s so much better for you.
- Crystal Spring Salt of The Earth Natural Spray Deodorant Salt isn’t just for eating, you can also use it as a deodorant! I have to admit it does sound crazy but it’s actually really effective – so much so that it’s another item that made it into my September favourites.
- Crazy Rumors Amaretto Natural Lip Balm Not only is this lip balm great because it’s completely natural and vegan but it works amazingly well too! My lips have never felt so soft and smooth plus it smells absolutely amazing. There’s a whole range of flavours from mocha to lemonade so I definitely want to get my hands on some more!
- Solgar Calcium, Magnesium plus Zinc tablets Calcium is a supplement that I take daily as it’s important for overall health – almost every cell in our bodies uses calcium in some way! These Solgar tablets with added magnesium and zinc are great as they’re vegan, although they are a little on the large side.
- Complete B Vitamin B Complex Previously I’d been taking a B6 vitamin however, I have now switched to this vitamin B complex. There are 8 B vitamins which are essential in helping convert our food into fuel; allowing us to stay energized throughout the day – so I figured it was better to be taking them all rather than just one. Plus I like to make a conscious effort to consume vitamin B12 as studies have shown that 31% of vegans are deficient! Again, these vitamins are on the large side but nothing that would outweigh the benefits.
Amazon was never the first place I thought of looking for health food items but it’s actually turned out to be a bit of a Pandora’s box for me. Admittedly, health food shops can be expensive – especially when there are no offers on and so Amazon is the first place that I look when I’m wanting to restock on items such as chia seeds or superfood powders but what I also found is that it’s also great for discounted supplements too!
- Solgar Advanced Multi-Billion Dophilus Vegetable Capsules Digestive health is something always at the forefront of my mind and after starting to take a probiotic daily a few months ago, I noticed a dramatic improvement in my symptoms. There was then no surprise when as my probiotic ran out, my symptoms returned. They unfortunately stopped manufacturing the last probiotic that I used and so, I set out to find an alternative and so far these Solgar ones have been great at once again reducing my symptoms.
- OptiBac Probiotics for everyday I have heard so much about these and I’m so excited to try them once I’m done with the Solgar ones! They’re great because they don’t require refrigeration which means there’s more fridge space for all that yummy food and that’s never a bad thing.
- Solgar Vegan Digestive Enzyme Tablets Continuing with the theme of digestive health, I also thought that I would try out a digestive enzyme. I have only taken one of these so I can’t really comment on the full effects but the morning after I did wake up with a giant bloat – I don’t think the tablet was to blame but it definitely didn’t reduce the problem.
- Deliciously Ella: Smoothies & Juices Ella is one of my biggest inspirations and her recipes never fail to impress me. I’m literally so obsessed with them that I eat at least one of her creations everyday! Therefore, I was incredibly excited for this bite size smoothie collection. I’ve only tried one recipe so far but as expected it was absolutely delicious and flicking through, there’s such a good range of combinations – definitely something in there to please everyone.
Independent Health Food Shops, Chester As much as I love mainstream retailers and websites, it’s also great to support independent retailers too and on this occasion, they actually ended up stocking the items which I’d never been able to find in bigger places!
- Pulsin Mint Choc Chip Protein Snack I love this bar so much that I had to include it in my September favourites – if you’re looking for a vegan alternative for after eights then this is it.
- Pulsin Orange Choc Chip Protein Snack I’m yet to try this bar but, I’ve heard that it tastes exactly like a terry’s chocolate orange so I’m expecting good things.
- Ombar Bluberry and Acai I can’t even begin to explain how elated I was when I finally found these in a shop! I’ve been searching everywhere for over a year now so when I saw them I picked up one of every flavour that they had in stock! This is the only one that I have tried so far but it was amazing – definitely worth the wait.
- Ombar Goji Berry
- Ombar Cranberry and Mandarin
- Ombar Coconut
- Ombar Centres Raspberry and Coconut
- Nakd Peanut Delight Bar As soon as I saw that these were being released, I knew that I needed to try one. Needless to say, they are amazing and I think these might just be my favourite flavour, along with strawberry crunch.
So, that’s just about everything! I hope that this gave you some inspiration of what to pick up next time you’re in the shops or having a browse online and to see what I think of the items that I’ve not yet tried, keep an eyeout on my instagram @nourishingyas x