Energy balls are the perfect snack – small yet nutrient dense, they satisfy any sweet craving are perfect mid-morning or afternoon for when you need an extra pick me up! I love to keep several batches in the freezer at once so I can mix and match flavours throughout the day. Classic recipes are loaded with the typical ingredients; ground almonds, medjool dates and cacao powder – so I wanted to create something a little different that also doesn’t require a blender. As much as I love my Nutribullet, it gets worked to death and so these are perfect for if you want to give your blender a well earned rest, simply don’t have a lot of time or don’t own a blender!
These only require a handful of ingredients and take around 5 minutes to make! They are unlike any other energy balls that I’ve tried before but in all the right ways; gooey thanks to the nut butter, with the perfect amount of crunch thanks to the seeds and hints of sweetness from the maple syrup. I’ve tried two variations of these balls – one using almond butter and the other with peanut and both were pretty amazing, although I do think that the almond ones came out on top this time. And if you don’t have all the varieties of seeds on hand, then simply use one or two of them! These are reminiscent of the Dairy Milk fruit + nut bar and will definitely keep you coming back for more! As with everything, these are completely vegan and free of dairy, refined sugar, wheat and gluten.
- 1/2 cup nut butter
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp raisins (or dried fruit of choice)
- tbsp cacao nibs (you could also use your favourite chocolate, chopped)
- Place all of the ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
- Mix well, until everything is combined.
- If the mix is too wet, work in more seeds until the mixture can easily be rolled.
- Take small amounts of the mix and roll into balls – the mix yields around 10.
- Freeze for 30 minutes and then transfer to the fridge. They’ll keep well there for 1-2 weeks but I like to freeze batches so that I can mix and match flavours throughout the day. If doing this, simply transfer to the fridge around 30 minutes before eating and enjoy!
If you make them, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @nourishingyas x